Thursday, July 29, 2010

First Meeting with Campers: Second Term


Twenty-three new smiling faces came to the first meeting of second term’s Project Phoebe. Similar to first term, we talked about the vision of the Mentone Collective, as a film but also as conversations and intergenerational relationships. After sharing and discussing the story of Ruth and Naomi, we moved into the more technical details of how film and flip cameras can act as agents of this equal exchange. Here is a reflection of this first day.


"I love listening to people’s stories, but I don’t really tend to tell many of mine, so the “equal exchange” idea may be a little bit difficult for me, which I am worried about. However, I do think that listening is the greatest gift one can give and so I am excited to put that into action. My family has been trying this summer to think about “listening to understand” rather than just “listening to respond,” an idea that I both love and have trouble implementing in my own life. The theory is that you try to listen to really grasp and take to heart what the other person says, rather than just listening to be able to formulate a response. I think Project Phoebe will be a great time for me to work on this as well…I think I will have to step outside of my comfort zone, as Ruth did, and overcome my fear and shyness, but I cannot think of many better ways to do that than through this project… I am going to pray about it and just try to be open and flexible and await what God has in store for all of us."

-Bennett, 16

No comments:

Post a Comment